Multi-User Virtual Environment
Multi-User Virtual Environment or MUVE was a description of certain video games I had never heard before. I think I used the term online open world fantasy / role playing game, or something like that. The MUVE that I have the most experience with would be Minecraft. I do have experience with other online games such as Halo, Call of Duty, and Skyrim. I don't really consider these completely MUVE. Their physical worlds, and the physics of the games are only minimally modifiable. Minecraft however is very different than the aforementioned. The environment is totally modifiable, and the game physics can be changed. Yes, you can fly if you wish. The first time I saw Minecraft, my son was playing it on his PC. I recall asking him where he found such an old game. I assumed it was an old game because the graphics looked early to mid 90's. Essentially graphics old gamer's like myself will do pretty much anything to escape.
I still think the graphics look like crap. However, the game itself is rather addictive. There are so many possibilities. Fill your castle with TNT, light it and float over it as your world explodes, build any kind of structure, cook food, create potions, go to the nether, get blown up by a creeper, eat zombie flesh and so on. You can invite your friends online and build worlds with them. For the most part, the only thing limiting the player, is his own imagination. Minecraft is an incredibly child friendly game. The most inappropriate interaction possible is going to be with fellow online users. So as long as your careful who's online with your child, you'll be alright. As with any video game it's important to not get so immersed that it's all you do. This tends to be a problem with me as much as my children.
I have seen my children use Minecraft in ways I had never thought of. Such as building a special memorial in memory of a beloved pet, or loved one who died. Some may laugh, but the kids took it very seriously, therefore so did I. It was a deeply personal act in which they placed deep thought and time. In a professional library setting, Minecraft and similar MUVE's can be used on library PC's to spark creativity in our patrons and entertain them at the same time. The library could have it's own Minecraft account where kids could work together to build specific items or just free play. We already have Minecraft programming for our teens where they get together with their devices and see who can build the greatest roller coaster, house, etc. in a set amount of time. The only caution I would issue would be to limit the time. They need to do other things as well. As I said earlier, games like this can be a real time consumer
I still think the graphics look like crap. However, the game itself is rather addictive. There are so many possibilities. Fill your castle with TNT, light it and float over it as your world explodes, build any kind of structure, cook food, create potions, go to the nether, get blown up by a creeper, eat zombie flesh and so on. You can invite your friends online and build worlds with them. For the most part, the only thing limiting the player, is his own imagination. Minecraft is an incredibly child friendly game. The most inappropriate interaction possible is going to be with fellow online users. So as long as your careful who's online with your child, you'll be alright. As with any video game it's important to not get so immersed that it's all you do. This tends to be a problem with me as much as my children.
I have seen my children use Minecraft in ways I had never thought of. Such as building a special memorial in memory of a beloved pet, or loved one who died. Some may laugh, but the kids took it very seriously, therefore so did I. It was a deeply personal act in which they placed deep thought and time. In a professional library setting, Minecraft and similar MUVE's can be used on library PC's to spark creativity in our patrons and entertain them at the same time. The library could have it's own Minecraft account where kids could work together to build specific items or just free play. We already have Minecraft programming for our teens where they get together with their devices and see who can build the greatest roller coaster, house, etc. in a set amount of time. The only caution I would issue would be to limit the time. They need to do other things as well. As I said earlier, games like this can be a real time consumer
Comments
Post a Comment